Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forms date format error

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachmelba

Programmer
Jan 4, 2002
GB
Can anyone help with this.

I have a field on a form which is a short date (dd/mm/yy) format. When I input 31/06/04 there is a check on the value to make sure it is a date using Isdate funstion. This returns true as it thinks that the date is actually 04/06/31.

I can't think of a way to sort this and say that this is not a date!

Peachmelba

You could split it out into MM DD YYYY checks:
Code:
iMM = cint(left([datefield]),2)
select case iMM
    case 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
        '--is ok
    else
        '--not okay; take some action
end select

although there's probably an easier, softer way ;-)

< M!ke >

Yeah tried cutting up the value into left(mydate,2) & "/" & mid(mydate,4,2) & "/" & right(mydate,2) which should give me 31/06/04.

But gives me 04/06/31.

So it obviously is changed as soon as it is entered!

Any other ideas?

Peachmelba

Hi peachmelba,

When you say it's a date, Access tries its best to interpret the input as a Date and format it as per your request, but you should be able to trap it. What event is your code in?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Tony

I have put it in the BeforeUpdate event.

Peachmelba

Hi peachmelba,

In the BeforeUpdate Event ..

[blue]Me.DateField.Value[/blue] should contain 04/06/31 and ...

[blue]Me.DateField.[red]Text[/red][/blue] should contain 31/06/04

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Access uses "mm/dd/yy" (i.e. US date format) internally regardless of the locale setting. You may want to explicitly force your interpretation with
[tt]
On Error Resume Next
theDate = DateSerial ( right(mydate,2), _
mid(mydate,4,2), _
left(myDate,2) )
If Err.Number = 0 then
' Date is Valid
Else
' Invalid Date
End If
[/tt]

Dates! Gotta love 'em.

Could you change the field to a string and then do the "left(mydate,2) & "/" & mid(mydate,4,2) & "/" & right(mydate,2)" you already tried?

< M!ke >

Cheers guys

Used both of the info you gave me and it worked!!!!

Yeah I hate dates as well.

Thanks

Peachmelba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back