Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forms corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanleurth

Programmer
Sep 1, 2001
US
Hello everyone,

It is easy to tell that is Monday and near the end of the year. I have a forms corruption problem with my access database. For some reason, a few forms get corrupted with asian gibberish as the form name ????
Then, the form does not open saying that there are some form objects that access does not recognize.

Has anyone experience this?

Thanks in advance,
V.

No, but have you tried 'Compacting and Repairing' your DB?

If this doesn't work you could try creating a new DB and importing all the objects into it.

Dean.

Do you have a lot of code behind the forms? If the code is still intact, I would do the following:

1. Copy all the code behind your forms into text files.
2. Delete all of the code behind the forms in your database.
3. Start a new .mdb file.
4. Import the forms and any tables from your corrupted mdb file into the new one, making sure that all of the code behind the forms has been deleted.
5. Open the text files containing your form code and cut and paste the text back into their respected forms.

I know this is a strange thing to have to do, but I have dealt with corrupted mdb files before and this was the rather convoluted process that solved the problem. I think this is even documented deep within the Microsoft Knowledge Base somewhere.

You also might try decompling the mdb file and then recompling it again. This has worked for me.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /Decompile C:\YourFolder\YourMDBFile.mdb

Sorry to run this Start button then Run.

Good Luck,

Thanks everyone for your prompt response,

My database hasn't been converted to a MDE file.
The form that gets corrupted is the last in the form list. It has been renamed to an asian character name of 15 or so characters. Everytime I try to replace the database with a fresh copy it still does the same. mmmhh !!

I'll keep trying to figure out what is going on. By the way I can't open the forms with the gibberish names.
I'll try to move everthing to a new fresh mdb.

Any other help will be appretiated, thanks,

V.

Thank you foolio,

I've tried those very well documented instruction, unfortunately I still have the forms. Interesting I might add, that the decompilation did shrunk my FE from 4.8 MB to 3.6 MB but didn't fix the problem.

I've also tried to delete the giberrish forms and they don't want to. !!!! ???
Yes, the resigned to be deleted. It is like the Oracle in the matrix movie ... (matrix fans know what I mean).

Well, I seems that perhaps I have to install access upgrades (because I have been using ACCESS 2000 like the way it was brought to this world, with any patches). Unfortunately, that means that I have to deal with our IT department that doesn't allow anyone to install patches.

Does anyone know where can I find out how many patches for ACCESS are out there since the release of ACCESS 2k?

Thank you in advance,

V.

Wow,

I just tried decompilation. My Front End went from 1.3MB to 488KB. My Back End went from 6.1MB to 3.4MB. Thanks foolio, for sharing this info.

Interesting finding,

It seems that everytime I use the compact and repair features the database rename two specific forms with asian characters. ??

I have tried using a clean copy of database and then I entered information or make some simple changes. Then, I saved it and still intact. Then, I compact and repair and voila, there it is the asian giberrish.

If anyone had experienced this please let me know if there are some other ways to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
I'll keep investigating ...

V.

Whoa whoa,

the process of /decompile -ing isn't complete until you recompile all your code modules.

After a typical decompile-compile All-compact, your database will shrink about 10%-30% the first time, thereafter no shrinkage.

Just make sure to do all steps 1-5.

Oh, and that page is Tony Toews', MS Access MVP. The rest of his site has a lot of good info.

As for vanleurth, sorry. If you can, make sure you start doing lots of backups. I do backups on a daily basis (or even more often). I often get a feature working, close the frontend, then do a backup, then re-open the frontend. It becomes almost automatic if you get some batch files to do the backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back