Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forms and Access 2000 In Frontpage 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireballuk2001

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2001
GB
Im a beginner at forms, and im having a nightmare. Ive setup the personal web server from my windows 98 cd, everythings working, frontpage extensions working fine. The problem is that the forms are not updating the database. I create my form, goto form propertys, sent to database, create a new database. Problem is that the form just doesnt update the database!

Any ideas?

Are you getting any kind of error messages ?

Bit more info please !

Are you looking at the database in Access after you modify your records or are you using database results to look at it?

As you created your database in FP you could try setting up a test DB using access and connecting that way ??!

Theres no error messages, the form gives me conformation that its updated sucessfully, but when i load up the database in access, it hasnt updated it. Ive also used the results wizard and that too says their aint any records in the db. Ive also tryed creating my own db in access but the same thing happerns. What am i doing wrong?

I have an extensive Access 2000 database of all vertebrate animals found in North America. I've also writen and compiled a Visual Basic 6 program that uses this database to display pictures (and play sounds) of each animal.
(I originally used the OLE in Access to link the pictures but the size of the database was huge after ony about 40 pictures or so. The over head for even a small .jpg image is just too much.)
I would like to be able to simply put a button on my main Access form to bring up my program and automatically display the picture without having to type in the animal I want to view all over again for my program to find.

Does anyone have any ideas of how this might be done?

I tried using a text export macro to write the current displayed record to a text file that the VB program would read upon running. But this didn't work. I couldn't out how to write just the animal ID field of only the displayed record.
Thanks in advance.

MTM:
Really, I think you should have started a new thread, but anyway, if I understand your question correctly, I suggest that first you don't include any media in your database, rather create links that point to the media.

I've done this with a web that has thousands of still frames and Quicktime movies.

It takes more time to setup the first piece of media, but virtually no time to add the second and so on. This also allows for modifying the given media without touching the database. And keeps from having all your eggs in one basket, as it were.

fireballuk2001:
Can you offer yet more details? First, I'd check the connection string; maybe you're not connecting to the database.

-Dave

Dave,
Well,let me try this reply again since the first one didn't seem to work.

Thanks for the response.
I have tried linking instead of embedding the images via an OLE field, but after about 40 images the database (after compacting it) had still grown to over 19 meg in size.
I guess I'll stick with my current set up. I shouldn't complain as it works ok.
Thanks again.

You misunderstand. I suggest your database only contains text. The links are done within the Web, not OLE or such.

In my case, all the media is in one place within the Web and within the database is filenames. Then on the ASP pages the filename is resolved to "create" a unique page everytime.

In response to a query, the URL for each record is unique, even though they are rooted from the same ASP page. For example, the page that shows a Quicktime has a URL like this:
of domain)/movieform.asp?cmd=Fromlist&Movie=(name of movie from database).
movieform.asp has the code on it. The database has a filename in each record.

The page that shows a stillframe has a URL like this:
of domain)/elementsform.asp?cmd=Fromlist&Still=(name of .jpg)
elementsform has the code on it. The database has a filename in each record.

The key here is that the database ONLY contains text. So, even though I have thousands of Quicktime movies and still frames, the database itself is only 2.5MB. The linking is done in ASP, not OLE or any other method.

-Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the info..
Sound really complicated to me, but I may give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back