Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forms 6i date search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaatar

Programmer
Jan 10, 2005
DE
Hello all,
i have at the moment following problem:
I have a record block, which is filled with a FROM clausel. In this Record Block is a field, which contains a date. The user can type in a date, to find all records from this date. Now i would like to modify this, so that Forms bring out all records >= the date the user entered, instead of the exact date the user entered.
How can i tell Forms to do this please?

Thank you.

Helge.

One way of doing this is to make your date field a CHAR type. Set the query length of the field at least 6 characters larger than the actual length. Then in a pre_query trigger do this:

[tt]IF :block.date_field IS NOT NULL
THEN
:block.date_field := '#>= ''' || :block.date_field || '''';
END IF;[/tt]

There are, of course, other ways to acheive this by using SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY(...,DEFAULT_WHERE), but the above method works once for each query.

Another question please,
i am experiencing now a heavy performance hit(i think because of the casting varchar2 -> date). How can i do this without a casting?

On a PRE-QUERY trigger use this:

[tt]IF :block.date_field IS NOT NULL
THEN
Set_Block_Property('<block>',DEFAULT_WHERE,'date_field >= ''' || :block.date_field || '''');
:block.date_field := null;
ELSE
Set_Block_Property('<block>',DEFAULT_WHERE,'');
END IF;[/tt]

Of course, this is assuming your block does not have a WHERE clause defined. If it does you will have to use the correct setting in the set_block_property calls.

I think that Forms is robust enough to apply >= condition correctly without any need to use #, thus you may either allow a user to enter such criteria (e.g. type >=01.01.2004 directly into a field in Enter-Query mode) or use Lewis advice, but 1) without extra quotes; 2) with explicit conversion and COPY built-in.
Code:
IF :block.date_field IS NOT NULL
THEN
  COPY ('>=' || to_char(:block.date_field, get_item_property('block.date_field', format_mask) , 'block.date_field');
END IF;

Regards, Dima

Hello,
one(late) question please again:
I didnt noticed it before really, but what does the # do in the query you suggested?

IF :block.date_field IS NOT NULL
THEN
:block.date_field := '#>= ''' || :block.date_field || '''';
END IF;

Is it some type of implizit type conversion?

Thank you :)

This is known as the 'hash-in' method. Its a carry over from forms 2.3, and forms knows to convert the # into the actual column name in the query. So if in your example the field in the form is called START_DATE, the query passed to the parser would become

[tt]SELECT <your columns> FROM <your table> WHERE START_DATE>= 'date value'[/tt]

Thank you :)
I still need to learn a lot it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back