Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting with Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milla

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2000
US
I've formatted the details section with 3 columns. I'm searching on the File System. My report works (ie: is formatted properly, in the columns) until I group.

I insert a group, grouping on Directory Name, to effectively list the files I'm looking for "underneath" the directory name. Once I insert the group, the results are displayed in ONE long (multi page) column, instead of breaking at the bottom of the page to the next column.

Help?

I appreciate any feedback!

-Matt

Sounds strange Matt, that's why nobody has replied! Try changing the column formatting to 'across then down' rather than 'down then across'. See if that changes anything? Steve Phillips, Crystal Consultant

Milla,
If you are using v8.5, there is a checkbox on the layout tab of the detail format section, Format Groups with Multiple Column.
Jacque

Thanks for the replies:

SMPhillips: I tried your suggestion. It does change, it lists them this way:

A B C D
E F G H

Not:

A C E G
B D F H

...and, when I introduce a group into the report when set to "across, then down", it only groups in the first column.

I guess this is very hard to explain (typical with a formatting question, eh?), but I'm trying.

Jacque:

I had the "format with multiple columns" checked -- that's the only way I could get the "Layout" tab to appear to create the column in the first place.

All:

See, the problem is, that WITHOUT the grouping, everything is fine, and the list of files fills the first column, then the second, etc.

BUT, when I group (on directory name), the grouping only happens in the first column, thereby making the report many pages, and never 'advancing' to the second (or third) columns.

Am I making sense, or confusing you more?

I've tested this now and I think it works differently to how you expect. Say you have a list of records numbers 1 to 99.

If you have just a detail section and format it with multiple cols (say 3) you will have:

1 34 67
2 35 68
3 36 69
. . .
33 66 99

If you introduce a group of say Number Range, where Group 1 = numbers 1-10, Group 2 is 11-90, Group 3 is 91 -99 you would get the following (without setting Format with multiple groups ON)

Group 1 - 10
============

Group 11 - 90
=============
11 41 81
12 42 82
13 43 83
. .
40 80 (to bottom of page)

Group 91 - 99
=============

If you set the 'format groups with multiple cols, you get

Group 1 - 10 Group 11-90 (continued)
============ ===========
1 41
2 42
3 43
. .
10 .
Group 11 - 90 .
============= .
11 .
13 Group 91 - 99
. =============
. 91
. .
. 99
40 (or bottom of page)

You seem to be working against Crystal here. Can't you have 'across then down' instead? Steve Phillips, Crystal Consultant

Your findings are exactly what I've been working against.

Just kidding, but what you describe is precisely what I've found. I could use across then down, in fact I did. But, at the end of the day, I'm trying to build a report that won't grow past one page (even including scope creep), and I'm over one page already when I go "across, then down".

Thank VERY much for your replies. If I came across negatively, accept my apologies; it just seemed to me that I wasn't asking CR to do anything very complex. I have a tendency to overlook the obvious, and was confident that was this case this time. I was wrong, I can't get what I want without exporting it, but I do sincerely appreciate your help in coming to that conclusion.

Thanks again Steve! You are a great contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back