Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting Textarea content back into HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdagger2

Programmer
May 5, 2008
GB
Hi

I am a bit stuck.

I have an asp page with a textarea in a form. I can insert/modify text and store it into an access database no problem but I would like to do the following:

1) enter text in the textarea and have the ability to add an href and/or embolden some words (very basic formatting). Submit this to the database in a memo field.
2) when the asp page is viewed in the browser, I would like to display the content with the href tag and the <strong></strong> tags parsed in the normal way by the browser.

Is there an easy way to do this and examples if possible? I don't want to have to download and learn tinymce or cuteeditior for something so simple.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I must be going mad - been a long day. I have been using a checkstring function which looks after illegal content which could break the SQL when inserting into the database - such as ' and <> as ' and </html> could break the page display.

I had forgotton about the <> which stopped allowing href or tags.

Thanks for the help (it was a help and forced me to check my code).

I am now just checking and conditioning the ' but allowing tags to be entered. I will just need to be careful when people add content tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back