Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting Text field

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhruby

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2002
US
I have a file that came in from a customer with 7000 records. I have a number field that I need to get an ' before each number (all numbers are variable). Is there a way for me to format the entire column without having to rekey each number?

Are you using Excel? If so, you could use Paste Special to copy the column, specifing it as text...

< M!ke >

Since I am fairly new to this will you include more detail? Thanks, Julie

Just to make sure I understand you, you want to insert an apostrophe, ', at the beginning of each number, right?

If so, and assuming that the number is in column A, type this in the first cell of an empty column:
Code:
=&quot;'&quot; & A1

You can then autofill this formula all the way down.

I am not looking to print the ', however I need to get that formating in there so it recognizes it as a text field and not a double field

Once again assuming that numbers are in column A, insert this into an empty column
Code:
=TEXT(A1,&quot;#0&quot;)
As with the other formula, this can be autofilled down all rows.

If this doesn't do it, could you please post an example of what you have and explain what you want to do with it?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back