Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting Seconds as time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjcain

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
US
I have a source database that shows usage in a long int field as seconds.

This works great in building a OLAP cube for it shows the time on the phone for each task etc.

We are using Excel as the user interface and allowing the manager to add, remove fields and drill down in various ways to see the data and generate many graphs. This means the cells are never in the same place twice, so formatting in Excel is challenging if not impossible.

Of course who wants to know that the user had 21,356 seconds of use. The manager would like it displayed as HHH:MM:SS

I tried to create a DLL that would format the field, but the cube treated this as a string and this gave many problems.

What is the standard method for dealing with time and formatting to human readable fields?

Thanks!
Kevin Cain

Hi Cain
We had the same problem but we solve it with the formula bellow. Note that "Duracao" (duration) is a measure that contains the number of seconds.

I hope this hep you.
Best regards

FORMULA:
cstr(cint([Measures].[Duracao] / 3600-0.5)) + ":" + format(cstr(cint(([Measures].[Duracao] - (cint([Measures].[Duracao] / 3600-0.5) * 3600)) / 60-0.5)),"00")+ ":" +
format(cstr(cint(([Measures].[Duracao] - (cint([Measures].[Duracao] / 3600-0.5) * 3600) - (cint(([Measures].[Duracao] - (cint([Measures].[Duracao] / 3600-0.5) * 3600)) / 60-0.5) * 60)))),"00")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back