Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting of AS400 outputfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganjass

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
GB
CR10

Hi all

I've created a report that is formatted to export to a txt file for importing to an AS400. The issue i have is that i cannot export directly to text. I have to export data to excel and then save as a text delimited txt file to keep the spacing formatting, ie the spacing is truncating when exported to a txt file but not when exported to excel, and then delimited test file. Surely CR V10 should not suffer from an issue like this..

Thanks in advance..

Since Excel is creating a delimited file for you, why not just export from Crystal in a delimited format?

Are you saying that if you export "Hello " that it gets truncated to "Hello" in the text export?

-k

Yes - I too have encountered this problem in CR 10. I have to export to Word first and then save as text (deleting the page Breaks inserted). As you say ganjass, "Surely CR V10 should not suffer from an issue like this.."

synapsevampire - this is exactly what is happening, unless there are more characters following the trailing spaces, as in "Hello Goodbye". This will export ok.

Regards,

Mark Peacock

Has anyone come up with any better way to export a report to a text file and not have spaces on a line truncated?

I have to have a certain # of spaces after each line for use in a mainframe system.

It is unacceptable to my client to have to export to a rich text file format, then open that file, and re-save as a text file.

Thanks.
Sheila

Within Crystal 10 are a number of text export options.

"Seperated Values" is also known was Comma Seperated Values in quite a few other environments. Simply put CSV is comma delimited text where character text is surrounded by quotation marks and numbers are "raw." Commas seperate each field value row by row. This export type can be problematic as it tends to put the report title and any other header information on rows right along with the record data.

There is also "Tab-seperated text" which is similar to above with tabs instead of commas. Again it's a text file type. This export does not suffer from the header area information being replicated with the data.

Finally there is a "Text" export which is raw text without quotation marks. It does not repeat header information along with the data, but I notice that it will occassionally truncate header information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back