Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting My Hard Drive Under W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinmanUK

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Can anyone tell me how i format my hard drive under W2K...when i was on ME it was easy you just put the boot disk in and when u got to the A prompt you just used the format command.......but under W2K i cannot seem to get it to the A prompt.......any ideas on how i can do this?? many thx

Do you mean format disk to install win2k or format second disk from within win2k?

For first, its part of the installation. Boot PC using win2k install CD. After its loaded driver files & accepted agreement it will ask you where you want to install. At this point you can remove any existing partitions and/or create any new ones. If no partitons & you just select unformatted space it will use whole drive. Whichever, it will ask whether you want NTFS or FAT32 filestore then format it.

For second, go to computer management (administrative tools) and click on Disk Management. Right click on drive/unpartitioned space & you have various options - including formatting. Quick formatting is quick.

Hope this helps.

Hi....
Many thx for the help....was ecactly what i was looking for...helped a great deal......thx again 4 help

vinman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back