Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting HD w/o CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
I need help, how can I format my harddrive, but I do not have a CD Rom in it, so how can I format and re-install the O/S.

Thanks

I don't know of anyway to reinstall a Windows OS (other than 95) without a cdrom. Unless you have Win95 on floppy disks. My suggestion is to spend $10 on a used cd-rom and eliminate your worries. Then you can boot up on your OS CD, format it, and reinstall.

I agree with tonycrouch.
U could install from a network but that presents more issues.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650

You can fdisk and format a HD using a boot disk. Get one that fits your needs at
You can install you OS from the hard drive if you have the install files in a place accessible to the OS on the C: drive.

Getting the install files onto c: or D: or other drive can be done in several ways:
1)temporarily install the drive in another machine for the duration
2)laplink across or a variation
3)network across
4)external zip disk across
I normally use #3 or #4, depending on whether I'm on the bench or in the field.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Okay,
whats easier-installing a CDROM drive or the above steps?

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Understand your question, kippy. Can't answer because I don't know what the user has available or the ultimate use of the machine. It can involve more than just the CD issue.

Indeed it can: But based on what the user has told us(very little) we can assume that the CDROM answer would be the simplier(there can also be major issues associated with the steps you outline as well)

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Hi,
thanks for all the tips, since it is a slim CD Rom (Dell PC) and there are not easy to get, will an external CD Rom work?

Thanks

Yes/external should work but you mention you have no usb....and this is the fastest way of connecting.....
Is the slim CD broken?

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

OK I will try an external, and I do have a USB Port, whoever bought this PC never bought it with a CD ROM, to save money I guess??

Thanks again

i have a nec laptop and it came without a cd. i got a backpack cd 4x parrellel port unit very cheap. just connects to the printer port and installs with a diskette. and i was away.i think i payed 10.00 for it.

I have a 6 yr. old computer that has Windows 95 on it. I have a Win 98 cdr "for new pc's only" and was told I could format the hard drive to clear out the old op system (nothing else in there matters) and install Win 98 using this cdr. Since I don't know how to format the hard drive, I opted to borrow a friends win 98 update. The download seemed to go fine until the end. When it rebooted, you get the Win 98 Screen (w/o the icons), then it changes to my daughters "Select User Name" screen originally made in Win95, but now reads Win 98, then to a blue screen that reads "A fatal exception OD has occurred at 2157:000054CA. The current application will be terminated". I am not extremely knowledgable when trouble shooting pcs so the easiest step by step procedure to fix or to format the hd and reload new Win 98 disk procedure would be GREATLY appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back