Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

formatting HD running Win2000pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexRacer

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
I want to reformat my HD. I have backed-up everything that I need. During boot up I go the command prompt and type in FORMAT C:. It wont allow me to do this. Did certain commands change with NT? why won't it let me format my drive??

Thanks in advance...

W2K does not really run with a DOS layer.If you want to format and reinstall new there are a few options.Boot with W2K cd in the drive and PC set to boot from CD.Pick clean install and you will be given the opportunity to choose where to install, and allowed to repartition and format.
You could also boot with a W98/ME boot disk and run FDISK and remove all non-DOS partitions, then repartition and format.If you are going to stick to W2K the first is the way to go.If you are changing the OS completely the second is probably the best.

Thanks... I was in fdisk and didn't delete the non-DOS partitions. I am going back to ME for now... Don't ask! hehehehe
Thanks again shovel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back