Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting Bar Styles for each resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPAtlanta

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2007
US
I was wondering if someone knew how to set the gantt chart 'bar style' for each resource so it is clear when you print out the gantt chart which resource does what.

I currently manually adjust/format the bar style of each task manually.

What I want is when I assign a resource to a task for the gantt chart to input a color/bar style based on values I predetermined for that resource.

Once again, thank you for any help you can offer.

MPAtlanta

There is no direct way to do this -- what colour would you use when two resources are assigned to a task? what colour would you use after you've assigned 16 resources?

There is a possible workaround (I haven't tried it but I think it will work) but it's so clumsy that I doubt you'd get any benefit from the work.

As I always tell people: if you want to track work then use project; if you want pretty pictures then use Visio or Paint.

Thanks again PDQBach!

Luckily most tasks are only assigned to one resource. What I will do is just Ctrl - click all the same resource and then adjust the bar style. This way I won't have to do it for each and every task.

As an alternative (depending on the number of resources, can become a tree-killer) - why not filter for each resource, then print out just that user's tasks?

As another alternative, what about using one of the reports instead (or is the Gantt chart required?).

Another option is to save the Gantt chart to a picture file, then export the Assignments to a web page and include the Gantt picture; You can then print out the Gantt chart with the assignment list using that created web page.

Granted they aren't as elegant, but could provide the same information in a different format.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Prothios!

I will give those a shot when I need to print it again. It is good to know the other options that are available.

MPAtlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back