Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting and Rounding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emik

MIS
Jul 24, 2006
CA
Hi,

I need to round a number to the nearest million but show a comma.

$34,450,000.00 should be $34,5 (I'm able to get it to 345)

Right now I'm doing Round(number)/1000000

Thanks.

Why the comma? I've done reporting for organisations in millions, and it's a simple matter of doing a custom number format followed by 2 commas, like:
Code:
#,##0,,

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Just the requirements that they want the comma.

I can't seem to get it to work,

I'm trying to do this in a query, the expression is:

Formatted: Round([MarketValue])/100000

and by right clicking on the field and putting: 0.0,, Into the format value I get a return of 0. I tried using the #,##0,, but no luck with that either. I also tried changing my rounding by removing a 0.

I'm still stuck on this....

The query is:

Market: Sum(Round(([MarketValue]/100000)))

Any possible way to make it $34,9 million (if the original is $34,900,294).

Thank you.

emik,

Quick question: Is this for the US or Europe? I ask because some European countries use a comma where we here in the US use a period (AKA stop AKA full stop).

If this is to be used in the States, then I'd hasten to point (pardon the pun) out that using a comma in this situation is just plain wrong. $34[highlight][attn].[/attn][/highlight]9 Million makes sense because it is 34 and nine tenths million.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Hi anotherhiggins,

I'm in Canada and for some reason (whether it be right or wrong) the user wants the comma. If it were me, I'd just round and be on my way :)

I got this from a user in another forum:

Replace(Format(34450000.00,"$#,,.0" ),".",",")

but when I replace the 34450000 with my Sum(Round(value)/1000000) it doesn't work.

Is there an easy way to do this with a period instead of a comma? Worst case I'll just tell them this is how I was able to do it (better than no seperator).

Thanks.

Replace(Format(Sum([MarketValue]),"$#,,.0" ),".",",")

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV,

Someone just posted the exact same thing to me. This is the greatest website ever.

Thank you to everyone who helped me on this one.

Grrr. I hate it when end users try to make things harder than they should be for the sake of having something "pretty".

Oh well.

Looking at what you are using (Round(number)/1000000), the first thing that strikes me is that you seem to be missing an argument. I'd expect to see
Round(Number,NumberOfDecimalPlaces)

So this:
[COLOR=blue white]Round(Number / 1000000, 1)[/color]
will return 34.4.

If they really want to see a comma instead, you can use the previous code like this:
[COLOR=blue white]Replace(Round([c1] / 1000000, 1), ".", ",")[/color]

But beware: Using REPLACE will return a STRING, not a number.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Sorry - that second formula still had [C1], which I was using to verify I didn't have any typos. In keeping with the context of the first example, it should read
[COLOR=blue white]Replace(Round(Number / 1000000, 1), ".", ",")[/color]

Ya I realized that it returns a string with replace because when I try to sort it by Marketvalue it takes the first character, so $33,9 is now smaller than $4,1.

Oh these horrible users.. ;)

Ok, I say forget the comma!

Round(Number / 1000000, 1) - works great, I wish I knew I was missing an arguement, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back