Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

formatting a date within a concatenated field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2nuk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2002
GB
Hi there,

I am trying to generate a key based on the clients initials, gender and date of birth. I have produced a key by using the formula below, however the date is presented with commas, is there a way I can remove these?

left({client.forename},1)& left({client.surname},1)&(tonumber(totext({client.DOB},'yyyyMMdd')))&{client.gender}

The field is presented as AL20,081,215.00M, Id like to remove the comma's so that the date part is presented as 20081215.

Many thanks

Before the second to the last parenthesis in the tonumber() part of the formula, add: 0,””

The 0 prevents decimals, and the “” indicates no separator (comma).

Please retype this as my iPad font set creates quotes that will cause formulas to fail.

-LB

Hi Lbass,

I am getting an error "The ) bracket is missing" when I validate. I have entered the text as per your post

left({client.forename},1)& left({client.surname},1)&(tonumber(totext({client.DOB},'yyyyMMdd'))0,"")&{client.gender}

I have even attempted to move the text in between the first and second closing brackets and get the same error.

Still no joy!!

I have copied it exactly as described.

I have taken out the other fields to exclude any other factors that may be causing this.

(tonumber(totext({client.DOB},'yyyyMMdd')0,"")) still receiving the same error

What datatype is {client.DOB}?

Is the error message the same?

Please post the entire latest version of the formula.

-LB

Hi Lbass,

Many thanks once again.

the formula is

(tonumber(totext({client.dob},'yyyyMMdd' ))0,""))) the dob field is a date datatype

The full formula with the other fields concatenated to it will look like
left({client.forename},1)& left({client.surname},1)&(tonumber(totext({clientDOB},'yyyyMMdd')))& {client.gender}

Thanks

If DOB is a date or datetime, then you can just use:

totext({client.DOB},'yyyyMMdd')

You don't need to use tonumber at all. Also, please note that I was incorrect when I added arguments to tonumber()--those arguments are for formatting numbers being converted to text with totext().

Sorry for the confusion.

-LB

That's worked a treat, apologies with the confusion with the tonumber syntax.

Many thanks Lbass and for persevering with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back