Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formating Windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2003
GB
at the moment when i try and format windows xp it says cannot delete the NTFS , contains windows setup files"can anyone help me?

its the only hardrive on the system and yes i want to wipe it clean

Then you have to do it outside the operating system (eg, boot the XP install CD and use the partitioning tools to remove partition, boot 98 boot floppy and use fdisk to remove the partition). Depends what you want to put back on the drive what best option is.

Can anyone help me because i do not no how to get my atapi cd-rom 52x to run on my floppy boot disk ?

You will need to change your boot order so that the computer boots from cdrom. Go into your BIOS setup (normally it's Del or F2 - it should tell you while the system is posting how to get into the setup) One of the screens is about your boot setup and gives you the chance to specify the order the system uses to look for bootable media. Move the CDROM to the first place, and your ahrd disk to the second. Save the settings and exit the setup. Now it will boot from your XP or 98 CD. Follow the instructions from dbk4297 to remove the non-dos partition and re-install it - either as FAT32, or NTFS (you can only install XP/2000/NT onto an NTFS volume not 98/ME - you can install all of them onto a FAT32 volume) Format the drive and install you OS. When you have completely finished the installation, go back into the BIOS setup again and change the boot order back to the way it was to start with.

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

Hi again,

"Can anyone help me because i do not no how to get my atapi cd-rom 52x to run on my floppy boot disk ?"

You will need to choose "Start with CD Support" with that floppy boot disk.
Also remember that with a floppy boot disk, your CD letter is pushed back by one. If you CD drive is normaly E, it will be F while using a boot disk.
This is all shown in detail here.

Darrell,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back