Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formated WinXP. Now I Can't Install Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanjoZun

Programmer
Jul 20, 2002
MX
Hi.
I have a Laptop. HP Pavillion. It has Preinstalled (from Factory) WinXp and more Software... With NTFS. So, I decided to install win2000, but I couldn't. Here's the story.
First. I boot with a Win98 boot disk
Applied Fdisk and clear the partition.
then I formated the C:
after that, I tried to install win2k, but it stops after ALL the drivers have been uploaded...

couple of hours, I tried to install win98, but I couldn't... winMe... i couldn't..

Do you know if WinXp or some kind of hardware, or maybe NTFS system... could make something?? or what can I do?

Juanjo Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

Did you delete NON logical partitions? Then create partition and set it active? I assume u are using FAT32, make sure you are using the correct boot order.......you want to boot off the HD after loading all the files not the CD......... JeffS

ok.
I Deleted NON logical partitions... There were two partitions, NON Logical and primary. I deleted them.
Yes, I'm using now FAT32...
Where I can set the boot order? in the Setup? or where?
Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

First: CD-ROM
Second: HD
??? Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

Boot order is in the BIOS settings of your puter, tap DELETE on boot, or F1,F2 F5 or it a bunch of buttons all else fails lol, JeffS

Ok. I got it.
But I changed the boot order...
First: CD
Second: HD
Third: Removable drives
Fourth: Built-in LAN

First: HD
Second: CD
Third: Removable drives
Fourth: Built-in LAN

And it's the same thing

Thanks.

I didn't see an answer to jsundin3's earlier question. When you created the primary partition, did you also set it active?

I had the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 1800 with Windows XP Home ed. preinstalled. All I wanted was to upgrade to Windows XP Pro. The upgrade didn't work, formatting and clean installation didn't work, W2K Pro didn't work...

The way I got around it was to install a Windows 2000 ghost from another pc to my laptop... off course it wasn't meant for the laptop but it worked and at least I was able after to reformat then install Windows XP PRo... Then some of the drivers had to be updated.

Freestone: Yes, I set it active... I have only one partition.

gdo: Does the destination disk need to have the same capacity of the Font Disk? I mean, Font: 30 Gb. Destination: 30 Gb. or, it doesn't matter... and in the laptop, how I can connect a desktop with Win2k to the laptop, through a parallel port? The way I use the ghost it's only at desktops computers...

Thanks Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

Look!!
When I try to Install any Windows, (Me, 2k, 98, 95) when it's lookin for Hardware Plug and Play, 98: Show me "Blue screen: Fatal exception"... Win2k "stops after all the four disk are uploaded" Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

as long as your hard drive where you want to install it is of equal size or larger than the one on the ghost that's fine.

And put your ghost on cd's. you won't have to connect them together. Otherwise you need a crossover cable.

ok.. I'll try this

Thanks Follow the dark side, so you can reach the light.

I cannot do anything, but I collected the Recovery Disks and could install thw Winxp once more...

Thanks for your time

JuanjoZun,

You are in a difficult position as you only have an XP restore disk.

Using the Win98 disk to partition and format the drive for a dual partition XP/Win2k is not desirable and it appears you do not have a Win2k boot set either.

As the only XP you have is an image restore, you will need a 3rd-party utility to resize the partition after you do the XP restore. From the freed space on the partition you would then create a new partition for the Win2k install. You cannot get to where you want to go without either a real installation CD for XP, or a good 3rd-party partition editor.

I would call the laptop manufacturer's tech support line and explain the situation and demand a real XP installation CD. They will probably refuse. I would then return the laptop to the store and select a different model that gives you a legitimate XP installation CD. I just returned an HP and bought Dell for exactly this reason.

bcastner:
I agree with you... :(
but the laptop is working right now... I think in the future I'll need an answer if i want to install another OS.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Juanjo

Partition Magic can create the partition, and a new product by Acronis can as well. This would allow you to take your existing WinXP partition and shrink it enough to create a new partition for Win2k.

Best.

I have had this problem before. The recovery disks always setup at least two partitions. The active partition is used as normal but the other partition is created for HP's own diagnostic tools and so forth. If you wipe this partition then it wont allow any OS to function. Therefore only delete the active partition leaving the other intact and install Windows 2000. It should now work. You should be able to use FAT32 or NTFS it wont make a difference to the install.

Hey Mifa.
This is a good explanation! I'll try this in the future :)
It sounds very good. So, I can delete the active C: and I need to leave the NON-DOS partition. is that ok?

Thanks a lot!

Have a nice day
Juanjo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back