Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formated HD. Installed WinXP PRO. Now no Internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mJess

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

I need your valuable help!

I've formatted my HD and upgraded to WinXP Pro (from Win XP Home Edition). After finishing SETUP, my Network Connections lists only "1394 Connection". There is no "Local Area Connection". And I have no internet. :(

Device Manager only lists "1394 Net Adapter" under Network Adapters. And under Other Devices, I see "Ethernet Controller" with a ! mark indicating that "the drivers for this device are not installed". I attempted to install drivers for the "Ethernet Controller" but I need Internet connection for this!

Please help me fix this problem. I've read that "1394 Connection" should not be under Network Connections. Yet, I can't get rid of it. I tried removing it but it keeps coming back.

Here's some specs:
Athlon 2100+
80GB HD
Win XP Pro
Firewire (I do want to use firewire on this machine)
Computer connects to router to share internet connection with main computer which is connected via Cable Modem.
etc

I will GREATLY appreciate any advice you may offer.

Thanks in advance,

Jess

disable the firewire,
reboot,
enable network card (it may appear automatically),
reboot,
enable firewire,
reboot.

That should fix it...

Hi Brycec,

Thanks for your reply.

How do I disable firewire?

I've tried removing "1394 Connection" under Networks Connections but I can't. After rebooting, it keeps coming back.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jess

HI Mjess, you'll never get the 1394 connection to go away and it won't matter anyway. Can you go into device manager and pick a driver for the nic? Geez i thought XP had darn near every driver ever made..Guess not..
Try uninstalling the card and reboot and let XP find it. Do you know what it is or is it an onboard? If it is the driver will be on the motherboard CD. I have an onboard VIA nic and XP didn't have that driver either. I did get it off my CD though. If you go into msinfo32 @ a runline, it should tell you something about that nic. The firewire shouldn't be bothering any thing.

Oh i forgot you won't get a local connection until it sees a nic in there..

Thanks, jjeffm! I think the ethernet card is onboard. I have CDs that came with the computer but they are the Restore kind. I will try getting the driver from the manufacturer's website.

MSinfo says, under Components - Network - Adapter:
>> 1394 Net Adapter for "Product Type".
I guess that the computer is reading the firewire device as the ethernet card. :(

Will keep you posted!

Jess

Fixed! Thanks. :) It seems like WinXP CD did not have the driver for the onboard ethernet adapter. I went to manufacturer's website and downloaded the driver from there using another computer. Then copied installation file to problem computer and installed. After that, Internet was back!

Thanks everybody. :)

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back