Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

format when admin password not known

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainwwater

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
How do I format a hard drive that came out of a computer that has an administrative password? It won't let me even add or delete a printer or change anything.

Hi Rainwater,

Are you putting this in the old computer? You will need to reformat the drive. Go to they have several disk formating programs. You can also download the entire ISO image file so you can make a cd with all the programs on it. If you have any problems E-Mail me.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Yes, I got it for the old computer and have no idea of how good a hard drive it is or what size it is, or how old it is.

What markings does it have? What brand is it?

Wayne

Wayne

OK sleepsalot, I went to the place you suggested, and WOW, which one of those things do I start with to wipe that hard drive clean?

I will have to get back to you on the brand and markings as company just arrived. Thank you for all your help.

Just E-mail me later.

Wayne

Wayne

Rainwater,

Just delete the partition using a FDISK with a Win boot disk and re-partition and format.

Hi Gang,

Well, I haven't gotten my hard drives yet, but have a problem with the new puter. I have DSL and it was just-a-whipping along as fast as anything......then it halted to almost a stop. What would make the Internet slow down so much?

You may have picked up some spyware if you don't have it already get spybot S+D, ad aware anti-spyware, and also microsoft antispyware, Spybot will complain that you have ad aware but don't worry about that. Just don't run them at the same time. As for why you need them all one may find some thing the other misses.

Wayne

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

I will ad those ad aware anti-spyware things to my puter. In the meantime, I was looking around in here and found a place to post the Internet problems and was reading other posts and found one that said to delete IE and reinstall it. I did that, and it worked, but I will still put the safty nets in place, so it won't happen again.

I am still awaiting my other hard drives to get playing with them.

I hope they get there soon.

Wayne

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back