Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystick8

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
I received a "format terminated" message while trying to format a old hard drive. Can anyone tell me what this means, I figure it might be a bad hard drive. I ran scandisk on the drive and it found 10 bad clusters out of 662,000. Thanks for any help :)

It might be bad clusters - but scandisk /surface should mark them. It might be a better way to go to use fdisk to clear the partition/s and make a new one - then format. If the problem still persists you might need to low-level format the disk first - there should be utilities to do this on the manufacturers website. However if it is a really old disk, you might end up with something that works - just - but might cause problems in the future - potentially big ones if you use it for an OS or important data.

Kim Leece.

p.s. new hard disks are quite cheap!!

thanks <<Kimlee>> and <<jmatt>> I'll give it a try and get back to you to let you know how it comes out. Thanks again

had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago with an old 340 meg drive...I started over...reformatted and the problem didn't occur again. Not sure i trust that drive very much so it is just for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back