Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

format removal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drthannisch

Technical User
Feb 27, 2007
US
Thanks to all who can offer any input to my problem. I recently inherited an older and smaller PC (Compaq Presario 5340). It had Win98 as the OS and 128 Mb RAM. I uninstalled the 98 and installed XP and Firefox. All went well and seemed to operated perfectly until this little sign kept popping up saying I was very low on disk space. I went to Start>Explore and saw I had 2 drives, C&D. C drive is only 2.64 gigs and is NTFS. D drive is also NTFS. C drive shows, under Disk Management, to be the Healthy System and D drive is the Healthy Boot. C is the Primary Petition according to the little colored square at the bottom of the window while D is the Logical Drive. D drive is only 1.36 gigs and it has 0 free space whereas C is almost all free space. Apparently XP loaded onto D where there is a Windows folder that is larger than 481 Mb. There is also a Windows folder on C and it is 407 Mb. Whenever I try to download anything onto the PC, it automatically tries to go to D so it doesn’t download for lack of space. I went to Tools>options and changed the “download to….” From D to C but still downloads persist on going to D.
How do I remove this partition so that I only have one drive? I can’t download a program that will help and it is a real problem.
Thank you again for your help.
Sincerely,
Tony

This would probably be better asked in the Windows XP forums.

I would recommend fdisking the machine and starting over. Create a single partition and reinstall windows (you can do this during the Windows XP install procedure).

Backup all your data, then boot off of your Windows XP cd. When you get to the part where it asks you to select a disk to install to, delete both partitions and create a new larger one. I'd recommend at least 8 GIGs for the C drive. Then install to that new partition.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thank you so much for the information. This is quite new to me so it will take a bit to figure it out. I will let you know how this works.
Thank you again for your help. I appreciate every bit of it.
Tony

No problem.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I definitely thank you! RESEARCH?? I have been reading this stuff all day long. MS knowledge base is my new friend. I will probably dream MS stuff tonite. BUT, it does help one understand doesn't it. I believe that your suggestions are the exact ones I will try. All I can do is thank God I have 2 PCs.
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back