Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format of elapsed time including fractions of seconds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiglet

Technical User
Apr 12, 2002
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know a way of taking elapsed time away from another elapsed time and showing the correct format.

Eg

00:00:44.44 - 00:00:46.08 = 00:01.64

(The 00:01.64 is the bit I'm struggling with - I currently have a formula of A1-B1 - I'm assuming this would remain the same)

Thanks

Tiglet [reading]

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year

Tiglet

You are subtracting the large time from the short time, resulting in a negative answer. For no readily apparent reason, Excel does not like negative time - if you subtract them the other way around, so that the result is positive, the result will display in the format you wish.

If you need to see the negative results, one workaround is to use an IF statement to subtract whichever is the smaller from the larger. You can then use a conditional format to make the ones which should be "negative" a different colour.

See also thread68-924012

-------
I am not responsible for any "Sponsored Links" which may appear in my messages.

asrisk,

You're right, my apologies!

Post should have read B1-A1

I still cannot get the formatting right though. I am now attempting to split the calculation using SECONDS-SECONDS however this still doesn't work.

Tiglet [reading]

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year

asrisk,

I am a muppet. That was the problem all along!!

Have a star!

Tiglet [reading]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back