Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format NTFS partition from command prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2001
US
Is there a way to boot to a command prompt and delete and create a partition and then format it to NTFS from a command prompt in a 2000 environment? Kind of like fdisk used to do for win95/98?

Thanks,
-DaveK

What exactly are you attempting? If you want to format a drive with NTFS or delete a partition then format it NTFS the easiest way is to use the disk management tool in administrative tools. Through a command prompt you can convert a partition to NTFS but I do not believe you can format it that way.

Basically I want to blow away a partition and format it so I can do an unattended install of 2000 professional.

-dk

Use fdisk to kill the partition and then format with fat32. Then convert later to NTFS. Use:
(CONVERT [driveletter]: /FS:NTFS) I thought an unattended install would allow you to set file system to NTFS?

I'm having the same issue, but I keep getting useless info, like 'use fdisk" to kill the partition. Where do I get fdisk from if I'm running Win2k? It doesn't let me create a normal boot disk, like I did under 95, and the emergency repair disk doesn't have these tools either. Can someone provide some step-by-step instructions here?

On the cdrom for windows 2000 is a folder called makeboot.
go to it and create the windows 2000 boot disks, you will need 4 floppy disks (1 for the ERD). Boot from the floppy disks and follow the prompts.

Also fdisk on a Windows 98 boot disk will see the NTFS partition (will treat it as a large partition). If you have access to a Win98 boot disk that is the easiest way to go.

Again I suggest creating the boot floppies off the CDROM and just follow the prompts. Its been a while since I did it so I am not too spacific. Sorry.

I am sorry. The folder is called Bootdisk and the .exe is called makeboot.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back