Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format multiple objects in CR9

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFB

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
AU
Hi All,

I'm using CRW9 SP 2 in VB6 (SP5) with ADO recordsets.

Quick question: I've just upgraded to CR9 and when i use the "Format Multiple Objects" right click funtion, it does not seem to do anything. Normally it would copy the font, font size, font style, colour, suppression formula's of the item with focus to to all selected items.

I've read about template fields but these don't seem to be available in VB.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

I also have CR9 SP2 and can't find a "Format Multiple Objects" option.

If you have multiple fields selected and right mouse click the top menu option is "Multiple Selection:" This isn't actuall a menu option but a label indicating you have multiple fields selected. If you highlight a single field and right mouse click the top label will be the field name.

However if you select multiple fields, right mouse click and then use the "Format Objects" option, any changes to the available settings will be set on all the selected fields.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.

Inside VB when using the Crystal Report Designer the right click option says "Format Multiple Objects".

When running the Crystal Reports application the right click option says "Format Objects".

In both cases they perform the same function.

In previous versions when you selected multiple objects, right-click and selected "Format Objects" or "Format Multiple Objects" depending on how you were running the app, and clicked OK they would copy the settings from the field with focus to all the other selected objects.

You are quite correct when you say "any changes" will be added to the selected fields and I think this is great behaviour, but how do I re-create the behaviour of what it used to do?

Here is the scenario:
Field 1 properties: Bold with formula, suppression formula, paragraph first line 0.50cm, colour with formula.
Fields 2-10 properties: Regular, no suppresssion, no paragraph setting, no colour.

I just want to highlight everything, right click on Field 1, select "Format Objects", click ok and copy all the setting to all selected fields.

There must be a way without having to re-enter all this information into the field 1 properties. Besides, in field 1 all these formula fields are blank. So this means I have to write down all the property settings, then highlight all the fields, then re-type all the settings back into my field 1, then click ok to copy the settings to all the other fields. Painful.

Cheers

It's news to me that crystal used to have this functionality and I've been using CR since V6, but Seagate had been known to change things version to version.

One of the new functionalities in V10 is the Format Painter, this is a new button which acts like the format painter in Excel and will do what you require.

If it really is as much hassle to you as you say then you will need to upgrade.

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back