Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format & Media ID & OLD JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramzi73

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2004
TN
Hello
we have SAN Configuration with SAN& Tape option
When i format a media the Media ID is changed. OLD JOBs created with the old media ID don't started ( cancelled status).
Is there a solution to format media without affected old jobs ?!

Thanks
Ramzi
(Sorry for my bad english)

Which ARCserve version do you use and how do you setup your backup jobs ??

regards

Hello
-)version 9.0 Build 2050
--) I setup the backup jobs without wizard.

Thanks

OK, this is in fact the v9.01 version.

I assume that you don't use the build-in rotation schemes.

When you setup a backup job and choose for a media name in the destination tab there is a distinction in how you choose this media name.

1. if you select the tape name by choosing a tape from the available media in the tape drive or tape library you in fact make a choice for both media name AND media ID (ie. random id) and ARCserve will search for this specific media.
After formatting a tape the media name can be identical but the random ID will change (this is by design) so the next backup will always fail.
2. if you select the tape name by just typing the required media name in the destination tab (the * sign is default)you make a choice for media name only.
After formatting a tape the media name can be identical but the random ID will not be searched for by ARCserve so the next backup will succeed.

In version 11.1 there is a special tab to control this behaviour.

hope I'm clear

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back