Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format Drop down box

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaniacal

Technical User
Aug 24, 2006
US
OK! I got my embedded video player to play from a drop down box. Works great! What I would love to do is to format the drop down box a bit... every other choice a different color or something more exciting....does anyone know how to do this??? That would make a great effect! Thanks

Something like this?
Code:
<html>
<head>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Combo</title>
</head>
<body>
  <select size="1" name="D1" style="font-style: italic">
  <option value="1" style="color:#FF0000;">Alpha</option>
  <option value="2" style="color:#00FF00;">Bravo</option>
  <option value="3" style="color:#0000FF;">Charlie</option>
  <option selected value="4">Delta</option>
  </select>
</body>
</html>

wow that is pretty neat...what i really meant was when you have similar to a formatted excel sheet where every other row is a different background color with the same font to sort of format the sheet... if that makes sense...i will play around with your code and see what i can do....thank you very much!

What you're looking for is background-color. Something like this
Code:
<html>
<head>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Combo</title>
</head>
<body>
  <select size="1" name="D1" style="font-style: italic;">
  <option value="1" style="color:#FF0000;background-color:##808000;">Alpha</option>
  <option value="2" style="color:#00FF00;background-color:#000000;">Bravo</option>
  <option value="3" style="color:#0000FF;background-color:#FFFFFF;">Charlie</option>
  <option selected value="4" style="background-color:#000000;">Delta</option>
  </select>
</body>
</html>

xwb you really rock but that is the same effect as the first one

it looks pretty cool though

oh duh...i just have to change the bg color i get it....thanks much!

Im kinda feeling dumb, I used front page 2001 which seemed alot easier to me, but on 2003 i cant seem to figure out how to get the drop down boxes to link to other pages or email data. Anyone have any ideas?

Further more if i have 4 drop down boxes, like lets just say for example. Color, Weight, Height, amount. How can i have the person click lets say red, 50 pounds, 6 foot, and 2 and click and submit button once instead of doing it with 4 different pages?

Set the value of the selection in the pull down menu to the so that when they click it will select that page or you can do it in the code area. This particular example requires the visitor to use the "Go" button but you can modify it to not need that

<form name="form">
<select name="site" size=1>
<option value="">Go to....
<option value=" your page here
<option value=" yoru page 2</select>
<input type=button value="Go!" onClick="javascript:formHandler(this)">
</form>

examples of what you are talking about with three choices can be found here

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search