Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format date-time so it can be used as filename

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMac

Technical User
Apr 9, 2000
US
And today is beginning like yesterday. Help with format date. As you can see I want a file saved at 8 am on Jan 1st 2011 to be strfiledate “0800 1-1-2011”. I just need a date/time down to the minute, seconds if it is easy, so I can ensure unique filenames.

'*****************************************************************************************
'Create the file when cmd_csv_button is clicked on the main form
'
'*****************************************************************************************
Private Sub cmd_csv_button_Click()
'Globals
Dim strfilepath As Variant
Dim strfiledate As Date
Dim strfilename As Variant
' Location where the file will be saved
strfilepath = "c:\"
'Place the date-time in the filename so files are not overwritten
'need to keep history per rec 7903 from manugistics learnings regroup 11-04-2010 at CHI in rm 608
strfiledate = Replace(Format(Now, "mmm/dd/yyyy"), "/", "-")
'File name with file date-time and the file type
strfilename = "Apollo_Load" & strfiledate & ".CSV"

'DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, , "qry_Apollo_load_csv_maker", strfilename
MsgBox "The file was saved successfully" & strfilename

End Sub

Format(Now, "HHNNSS YYYY-MM-DD")

sweet!
BTW I had to make the variable a variant not date. not sure why date did not like time?

Because format function returns a string. It is no longer a date and cannot be treated like a date unless you convert it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back