Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format a column of table cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegold2

Technical User
Oct 10, 2004
I'm looping through a DB and displaying a "shaved down" brief display of each record in tabular format via HTMl tables. For one particular field (ie. table cell) I do:

$table_content = substr($full_content, 0, 170);

With that I am selecting the first 170 characters of content which I then put into the table cell with the link "...more" tagged onto the end - which links to a specific detail page for that record.

My question is I want to try and format this column of cells. Even though I'm putting in the same number of chars into each table cell, it seems because of word breaking I don't get a consistent "look". For example, if I had a 150 character word in one cell it would stretch the table column way out of "wack". Is there an intelligent way to format a column of table cells or maybe a way to break long words to get a consistant look in that column. Either via CSS, HTML or PHP?

Thanks

that's useful knowledge - one that i haven't come across before!

would you then recommend outputting the result in html using nl2br(0) or with preformatted tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back