Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

format 80g hdd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartd

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
US
Hi,

I have just bought a new Maxtor Plus 9 80Gb hdd. Put it into my system and went to set it up.
BIOS notifies me of 82.0G drive at post.

1. With win 98 startup disk, fdisk thinks the drive is 12G

2. With win ME startup disk, fdisk thinks the drive is 78.16G (ok with 1024x1024?), but format still thinks it is 12G

What am I missing?

Details :
ECS K7S5A, XP 1600+, 256mb DDR
ATA1 master=IBM 20G Win2K installed
ATA1 slave=Maxtor 80G
ATA2 slave=Liteon 52x CDRW

FAT32 File system can't support HDD over 32GB, so try converting your drive to NTFS. It in theory suppose to support up to 384 GB hard drives.

UNPeacekeeper

FAT32 can support partitions up to c. 128GB.

2k/XP can't create FAT32 partitions over 32GB - BUT it can use partitions over 32GB if created elsewhere (eg, with fdisk/format).

stuartd

Puzzled - ME boot disk should work (the fix BuckeyeComputers suggested is for win9x). You created partition with ME's fdisk, then formatted with ME's format command? You could always use NTFS as UNPeacekeeper mentioned.

Thanks BuckeyeComputers - must learn how MS KB searches work.

Apparently ME format incorrectly displays disk capacity, but does the full format. Will try to format using ME disk and see what happens . . .

Did the format using ME startup disk, and it did format the full 80g.

Thanks again Buckeye

Did the drive come with any software? Somtimes there will be a driver available for just your problem.

Same thing happened to me in the past. Misread a 80 Gig HD when partitioning. Not to worry, If creating multiple partitions just dictate the size as a percentage of total disk space. If not, just format 100% of disk normally. It will read correctly (well very close with FAT32) once OS is loaded.

Hi stuartd,

i have had the same problem with fdisk.

I solved this problem with the next solution:

i used a program called Partition magic to add the rest of the free harddisk space to the existing partition.

For example, if you have created a maximum partition of 12 GB with fdisk (C: partition), you can add the other 68 GB to the partition to create a 80gb partition.

If you want one big 80 gig. partition:

create a partition with fdisk (the maximum size fdisk can handle), then just install the OS. When this is finished boot your computer with the partition magic boot disk. And then add the rest of the free GB to your existing partition.

You can download partition magic from Kazaa or Grokster or something.

Hope you're helped with this, it worked for me tough!

Ciao,

Ali Babba and his 40 wifes with the big ( o )( o )

Maxtor ships an EZ utility to run that overcomes the 32 GB limit. You install this before the operating system. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back