Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form / Subform Possibilities and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olddogg1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2005
CA
Hi There Guys,

I am not very familiar with Access so I'm looking for a little help on the tek-tip's forums. So far the responses have been great and I appreciate all the help.

I am building a database for the financial company that I work for to handle customers. So far the database has 6 tables.

Company Index - (company ID *PK, RPPID *FK, GIID *FK, RRSPID *FK, and company name)

Company Contact Information - (company ID *FK, and all of the contact information fields)

Company General Information - (Company ID *FK, and all of the general information fields)

Company RPP Information - (RPPID *PK, all of the RPP plan information)

Company GI Information - (GIID *PK, all of the GI information fields)

Company RRSP Information - (RRSPID *PK, and all of the other RRSP plan information fields)
------------------------------------------------------

Company ID (*PK from Company Index) has a one-to-one relationship with the General & Contact Information Tables.

RPPID, GIID, RRSPID (*FK on Company Index) they have a one-to-many relationship.

-- A Couple of Examples of Data --

Kerridge -- has its own general and contact info. but has the same RPP plan as Smith Construction. and has no RRSP information. has no GI information.

Smith Contruction - has its own general and contact info. but has the same RPP plan as Kerridge. has its own unique RRSP plan. and has the same GI information as Tucker Concrete.

Tucker Concrete - has its own general and contact info. has no RPP information. has its own unique RRSP plan. but has the same GI plan as Smith Construction.

---------------------------------------------------
-- The Problem --

Since most of the people in the company are not computer friendly I am trying to make this database as simple as possible.

I am trying to build the database into one big form.

----------------------------------------------------
-- Here is what I have so far --

I have built a main form with the "record source" coming from "Company Index"

Then I have a "Tab Control" that uses subforms... the tabs include subforms (with the "record source" from the other 5 tables)

I want the form built to work so that when it is opened (with a client's name listed) the subfoms will have all of the information pertaining to the company.

ALSO

I want the form built to work so that when it is opened (blank, to enter in a new customer) you can also enter in new RPP plan's, new RRSP plan's (or existing plans if the plan has already been entered into the DB)

Right now I am getting all sorts of errors and messages... I don't think I am filtering the right way... and when I enter in new plan information it does not properly set it to the "Company Index" table.......

errrrr. I like databases when they function properly, but building them properly is a whole different story.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your responses... Thank you for your time in reading this post. I really appreciate all of the comments / advice.

Jon

How are ya Olddogg1 . . .

Not gonna happen with one form!

Have a look at the following links in order. Before your done you should see a great many things and most (if not all) of your questions will be answered.

Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

Normalizing Tables

Table Relationships

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back