Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form showing more records than table

Status
Not open for further replies.

cer5yc

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
I have a form I created for data entry. My table where the underlying records are stored shows 19 records. However, when I view the records via the form, it shows 38 records. For example, one of the records in the table has a primiry ID # of 19. When I open the form and scroll through the records ID # 19 shows up three times - same info, but shown three times in the form. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this and how I get it to quit. Thanks!

Are the records duplicates? Choose Unique Records Yes in a property of the query.

Not every record is duplicated but some are duplicated like four times. I built the form using the Form Wizard so I don't have a "query name" as the record source per se (i.e. the query that is used for the form does not show up in my Navigation Pane). I'm not finding any property on the form properties that says "Unique Record". Can you provide any further information?!? Thanks!!

I'd delete the form and try recreating it again; something obviously went awry the first time!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Okay I found the Unique Record and figured out what's duplicating ... and now how a new problem.

What's happening is I have an attachment field where users can attach a file - but sometimes there are multiple attachments for the same record. So if a record has three attachments then the record shows up three times in the form.

Anyone know how to get it to quit doing this while still allowing multiple attachments to one record?

Got it fixed - it was my attachment field/query needed to be tweaked a bit. Thanks!

Forum etiquette, here and elsewhere, dictates that when a poster solves a problem, off-line as it were, they post that solution! That way, others with similar problems who come searching here for help can benefit froim your experience!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

When I made my form using the Form Wizard, the query it created as the record source for the form made three additional columns (Attachment.File Name, Attachment.File Number, Attachment.File Type) based off of the attachment field. File Name, File Number, and File Type are all unbound fields on my form that I use to show the File Name, Type, Count when the user clicks on a button to scroll through the files attached to the records. Anyhow, when I tried to click on the unique record property on my query it wouldn't let me since the file name and type (based on the attachment field) all store on different lines with the same primary id number (only in the query - they are one line in the table). So once I deleted those three columns from the query I could select unique record and my problem was solved. On to the next problem .... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back