Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

earnoldmi

Programmer
Sep 21, 2000
US
I made a Visual basic 6.0 application using a standard resolution on my machine 1024 X 768. I now find other users who have their resolution set at 600 * 800 cannot always see the whole forms. Is there programming I can do to cause the forms to appear completely no matter what the resolution on people's machines?

Yes, you can, but it's far from easy. One simple approach is to lay out the form again on an 800x600 screen (or in a window of that size on a larger screen), note all the Left/Top/Height/Width properties of all the controls and form sections, and then write code to change all these properties at run time depending on the screen resolution. It matters what order you do this in, too; when shrinking, you process controls from left to right and resize the form last. Getting the screen resolution requires a trip to the Windows API.

There are commercial (and shareware?) products that will do most of this work for you on the fly, at run time. One particular one I know about is called Shrinker Stretcher. It might be worth your time to look for one of these products. Rick Sprague

Thread222-59642 How to make VB screen monitor independent addresses the very same problem and has some references to downloadable (free and fee) programs

Thanks to both of you. I'll check into your suggestions.
Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back