Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

form printing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwe

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
I need someone with a good memory
I am working on a SCO 5.0.7 system running a FoxPlus legacy app.
They want to be able to print forms.
Years back I knew a company (noew out of buesness) that was running SCO 4.2 that used somthing like this. I believe that the software they ran setup a special printer (like a fax printer) that would define a form (lines,boxes, text, etc. like a preprinted form without the data), then you would send a print job to it with just the data and it would print the form filled out with the data sent to it.

Does anyone know what this software is/was and where I could get my hands on it if it is still available?

Im sorry for my lack of UNIX knowledge, but we only have 2 customers left running UNIX that havn't really done many enhancements for years, am I am getting very rusty in this area.

Tom

Assuming you are using a PCL LaserJet, then you need to create a form overlay that is downloaded to the printer beforehand and then enabled within the application with a very short PCL code. LaserJet 101. ;-)

If you need some help, get in touch.

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

Are you remembering Vsifax? Or maybe UnForm?
If so - both are still available.
With Vsifax you can fax a form to the Unix box and then overlay the data and output it to a laser printer.
With UnForm you create a form with lines/graphics/shading. Then you direct your printing through UnForm. The result is a very high quality laser printed form.
Hope this helps.

- Loops

What you are talking about is a product called "Reform" I can get more info for you if you need it. I believe they were bought by another company and have a newer product doing what you need but under a different name.

I used this product and worked great could do all sorts of really neat things ie: Barcode, Boxes, Shades ... The great thing that it did was it was application independent. It worked between the application and the print spooler.

Brandt

AFAIK, Reform only runs under Windows. So you need a Windows machine connected to print from SCO. It is not a Unix solution.

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

brante

Reform sounds like exactly what I need. :)
Could you send me any info that you have on it.
Will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Tom
tom.eby@upos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back