Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form print preview 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rproactive

Technical User
Oct 6, 2005
US
I Have a form with 2 combo boxes and a subform. The combo boxes determine what is dispalyed in subform. When I print preview the combo boxes and their values are displayed but there is no subform.

How can I get the subform toappear from hidding. Your help greatly appreciated.

I'll use reports for printing ;-)

One thing to check, is the Display When property of the subform control - should be the second property for the subform controls format property.

Else - is there data in the subform?

Roy-Vidar

Subform Format property Display When set to always

THere is a bunch of data in subform (37 rows)

As far as using a Report for Printing---I can't get the positioning control in a report I have with a form. The users are also familiar with the form not some new report- but thanks for the suggestion.

Another comment-- if I open the subform by itself I can do a print preview. Of course it lacks the 2 combo boxes that are on the main form. For some reason the sub form is not avialable in print preview mode. Hope this helps get to a solution.

I'm sorry, I don't know - I did a quick search, which came up with this but I fear that most will reply something like this which is the most common view, I think, among Access developers.

You may of course hope that someone else sees this thread, and has a solution, do a bit more of searching yourself, but had it been me, I think I'd started working with a report in stead ;-) You know, you can get some functionality/layout by using the "Save As" option from the file menu, and choose "Report" (I'm not sure it is available for all forms, though)

Roy-Vidar

Thank you for your help. I researched this before and could not find the 2 references you provided. They were very usefull. It seems this problem has plagued users with no solution for many years. Well I guess as you noted the "solution" has been to generate a Report.

As far as the first link states: "This behavior also occurs if the DataEntry property of the subform is set to Yes (or if its DefaultEditing property is set to Data Entry in versions 1.x and 2.0). When you preview a form, you are opening it; because the subform is opening in Data Entry mode, it does not contain any data."

For the record & newbies as me: When DataEntry is set to yes allows in creating a new record and if set to no will not save any new record(s). However still can enter data, change data if record already exists.

I tried to switch to subform and main form to NO Data entry but the still no print preview (subform still blank).

So on to "Save as report"- great idea. Didn’t know you could do this. I created a command button to preview the report- but guess what – the report is now totally blank including the entire subform and now also the 2 combo boxes on main form are not listed. Only a label is shown. Maybe something I need to learn about reports? Or posssible now getting to what the real problem with my form preview is.

I have struggled with this problem for some time and even though not yet solved, this is great progress. Thanks for you refforts.

To close this thread---
when Icreated report using Save As the subform still did not print preview or print. So I took the subform and saved it as a Report and added the fields from the main form/ report to it.

This worked-- why is anyones guess but at least this is closed

And how about the "Display When" Property?
There are 3 options.
Always, Screen Only, Print Only

See it on Format tab in the property box of subform object.

As the gurus said forms are not for printing.

deep inside the belly of father microsoft is a set of maxums know only to the enlightened gurus.....

as for Display When was set to Always which of course means sometimes/ depending and at father microsofts whim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back