Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form post to e-mail but what if user doesnt have email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeBrett

Programmer
May 5, 2003
CN
I have a Form method="post" action="mailto:jbrett@whatever.com" but when a user clicks Submit, it won't send if the user doesn't have a mail profile set up on his machine.

Any way around this?

You can use some kind of server-side script, such as FormMail, instead.

Check with your web hosting company. Most provide free e-mail scripts (formmail, JMail, etc). The mailto function is not that all reliable & the message / pop-up that is generates can be disturbing to some.

Read here :
There's a few links at the bottom of it to how to do server side mailing solutions (as mentioned above)

Posting code? Wrap it with code tags: [ignore]
Code:
[/ignore][code]CodeHere
[ignore][/code][/ignore].

Jsut a thought.... I wonder how many users wouldn't have an email account set up on their machines? I wouldn't think it would be a significant amount to worry about.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Well, not knowing what kind of web site this is, it's hard to say what kind of audience to expect, but I'm sure most any publicly accessible computers (colleges, libraries, Internet cafe's, etc...) are not going to allow you to have your own personal version of Outlook Express (for example) running on them. Also, how many people use hotmail and yahoo for their email accounts? At one time, neither one of these would even allow a mail client to connect to it, it all had to be done through their web sites.

Although, as you said tviman, how many people wouldn't have a mail client on their PERSONAL machines?

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
- I hate computers!

Ill just assume they have it ... users will be mainly viewing from a office environment .. thanks for the input.

hi,
even if everybody does have email it's still unprofessional and messy to do it that way. and it also doesn't always work, I have seen many examples where it didnt work.

If you have a form ALWAYS use a server side script to process it, that's my opinion anyway.

- É -

Very bad usability to have an email form that has a high chance of not working and doesn't provide any feedback to the user...

Miles

Those Micros~1 guys sure know what they doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back