Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form opens as blank, design looks OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2000
CA
I'm using Access XP and am designing a few forms for my current project. One of them shows the form OK when I open it within Access, the other just shows a blank form (but does have the record navigation info at the bottom). The blank form looks OK in the design view.

Both forms were initially designed using the wizard and extensively modified after. Both forms are based on fairly complex views. I do not have any data in my database - but this didn't seem to matter for the form that opens OK.

On the form that does not show, following the wizard create, I added a list box.

The database is not in the same .mdb, I'm linking to it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mind and form showing blank!

on a few of my forms do this when the query they are based on has no data. in the form properties i have the allow additions property set to "NO".

Thanks for your tip drctx. I tried it but no joy! I shall compare all of the properties of the 2 forms to see what differences I have.

Thanks again,
RjB

RichardBott,
I had the same issue a while back and I couldnt figure out why. I too also added an extra to the form, a combobox. Anyways, reason why I wasnt getting anything was because on that combobox that I added there was a field that I was not including on my query. Query used to create that form. Double check your query and see if the field using for your listbox is included.

worth a try.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys but I solved my problem and here's the scoop:

The problem was I had created a query for the form which had two separate but related tables that each referenced a third table! Now, if you think about this, it doesn't make too much sense to have this in a query, does it - but I did. I had built the query in accordance with my complex data model. It's OK to have this type of 'circular reference' when data modeling but not in a query.

I solved the problem by removing one of the relational links in the view. This solved my problem! I wonder if it may be a solution to others' problems. Let me know it could be.

Richard.
'Education is what survives after what has been learned has been forgotten' B.F.Skinner (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back