Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form for Search Query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyal8r

Technical User
Sep 4, 2007
US
I thought this was a simple task- but it's proving otherwise. I have a form with a number of combo boxes on it. I want to pass the values selected in the combo boxes to the query, and return the results. Basically, it's a 'search' form. However, it's not returning anything. I used the expression builder to select the right combo box expression in the query- so I know that's right. What am I missing here?

For example- I have a combo box for City. I want to select all the records in a specific City. The combo box has a 'Select Distinct' type statement in it- and it's displaying the City names properly. I have linked a button to Query I am using. But when I select a city from the list (yes, multi-select is turned on) and hit the button- it returns 0 records. What am I missing here?
Thanks!

Can you post your form code and your sql for the query? Can only make guesses without that information. I doubt you built a simple code for a multi select list box. Not something you can do with a wizard.

Here you go-

SQL to the Query-
SELECT tbListing.Status, tbListing.MLS, tbListing.Address
FROM tbListing
WHERE (((tbListing.Status)=[Forms]![Form1]![Status]));

Code to the Form- not sure which Sub it is- here's 2 that come up-

Option Compare Database

Private Sub Command3_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command3_Click

Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "qry1"
DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit

Exit_Command3_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_Command3_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_Command3_Click

End Sub
Private Sub RunQry_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_RunQry_Click

Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "Query1"
DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit

Exit_RunQry_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_RunQry_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_RunQry_Click

End Sub

I don't know how to do any other code other than the Wizard- what more do I need?

Combo boxes don't have a multi-select property. If you actually have a multi-select list box, you will need to use code to use it in a query.

Can you provide more information on your query such as its SQL view?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

See above- and yes, I mean a listbox- sorry.

Is [Forms]![Form1]![Status] the list box? If so, you need to use some additional code. There is a generic function that might work at
You really should find and use a naming convention.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

huh. How do I put code into this form? I assume I need code for every listbox I have on here? This form was just a quick sample one I was using for this instance. I have a better naming convention for my REAL forms/Queries...

The generic function I suggested can be used for multiple list boxes.

Duane MS Access MVP

Does a single list box define the search or do multiple list boxes define the search?
Lets say you have a color list box and a shape list box.
Can you search for both color and shape? ex "where color = 'blue' or color = 'red' and shape = 'circle' or shape = 'triangle'"
Or can you search for either specific colors or specific shapes, but not at the same time? The first is more complicated.

You can create a query that uses multiple listboxes. For instance in the sample download, you could create a query with SQL like:
Code:
SELECT Employees.*
FROM Employees
WHERE IsSelectedVar("frmMultiselectListDemo","lboJobTitle",[Title])=-1 AND 
IsSelectedVar("frmMultiselectListDemo","lboEmployeeID",[EmployeeID])=-1;

Duane MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back