Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Flicker during loops and procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikoli

Programmer
Aug 12, 2009
US
I'm having a problem with form flicker or with a form not being visible at all during a looping procedure.

The procedure constantly checks a database for new records then runs functions whenever the recordset count is not 0.

During the loops, the form that displays a listbox of completed functions flickers, is unreadable, or disappears altogether. How do I correct this?

Thanks.

Are you updating anything on the form while the loop is running? If so, make sure you run the loop, then update the form.

I run the loop then when the loop is completed I do a form.show, then return to the loop unless the database has a new record.

I've also noticed that buttons on the form don't respond when clicked while the process is running.

Is there a better way to update the form?

I'd hide the form and display an hour glass cursor while the routine is running like this.
Then set the cursor back to normal and show the form again.

rem First ...
Form1.MousePointer = 11
Form1.Hide
'
'
rem Your routine here
'
'
rem Lastly return control to the form
Form1.MousePointer = 1
Form1.Show

Status