Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form flashes when updated when using a recordsource query which has calculated fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss100

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
GB
I use a form which has a record-source as a query with calculated fields.

i.e. In the query, I have fields FirstName and Lastname and a calculated field FullName:[FirstName] & " " & [LastName].

If I update the first or second name on the form the form flashes very noticeably.

If I remove the calculated field from the query, then all is fine - is there any way round this, or is it simply an access bug?

Many thanks

Regards

Mark

I think the problem occurs when using a query with a calculated field in it, in a form which has a tab control on it.

There are a few threads on the web and all draw blanks so it would seem to be a bug with access itself.

Thanks Mark

I suspect that your form is re-querying as you leave the edited field,
You are displaying concatenated fields (within the query - from the table), but also displaying each individual field - which are both editable.

Can't you leave out the concatenated field in the query, and simply set an unbound text box to:

Code:
     =txtFirstname & " " & txtLastname
?

I'm not sure why your form is requerying just because you edited a field (unless you are forcing a requery on leaving the field).
If you are forcing a requery - stop it - there is no need.

This way, the full name will display correctly as you leave the edited first or last name, and, there should be no requery 'flash'.

As an after-thought, why display Firstname, Lastname, and then Firstname + Lastname? Can't Firstname and Lastname be placed close so that the full name is obvious?

Def

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back