Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form email or link? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

balance

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
CA
A little while ago I saw a post where someone had stated that form emails were inhibiting customer contact because of the expectation of filling out a form. Are people this lazy, or are they simply afraid of forms? Is an email link more appropriate for basic correspondence?

Most of my clients have been split down the middle, with half asking for a form email and the others wanting various email links.

What are you other web people thinking and seeing on this issue? What are you doing in your sites?

Thanks for any thoughts

AJ

I think as a general rule you should have both. On sites I've developed we generally provide the phone numbers and common email addresses on the top of the page and a form to allow them to submit information at the bottom. Also many times people will send comments that they do not want a response so I also feel it's best to allow the form to be submitted without any contact information, but make sure you warn them that you will not be able to contact them if thier information is not complete.

RnK

Hi mate,

I think that it totally depends what you are trying to do..

If you want the user feedback to be specific, for example, to request more details of specific services or ask for a quote, then I would use a form so that you get all the info needed.

If you just want suggestions on your site then either a small form or an email link would do.

BUT, you should always include an email link so that the user can contact you by email if they need to ask you something and the form is not appropriate or the user does not have a default mail client set up with their browser.

If you want specific info sent to you and the user sends their email it will only include what they feel like including and you will normally have to contact them again asking them for more specific details.

Hope this helps Wullie

Rnk and Wullie,

Great answers. I really agree with the need for a form email if you require specific criteria. I never thought about the email client issue though. It is so common these days to use email, but you are right the form will help if they don't have email on the client. Food for thought.

Thanks,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back