Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Dialog Based on Query - Msg if No Match

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar149

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a dialog form that pulls up a report. The dialog form is based on a query and uses two combo boxes to filter the records pulled into the report. I would like to have a message box display a message if there are no records that match the criteria. Now all it displays is the report with #Error where the formula results would be displayed.

Thanks...

Easy.

Go to the design view of the report, then go to your properties and in the "On No Data" event handler add the following:

MsgBox "There is no data for this report."
Cancel = -1

Hope this helps.

Mark Waddington.

Sorry, I meant in the VB code for the "on no data" event.. i.e. click the 3 dots that appear next to that field and click "code".

Thanks, that worked on the report. However, because I cancel the report, I get an "Open report action was canceled" error. My on-click event on the dialog form is as follows:

Private Sub Command4_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Command4_Click

Dim stDocName As String
stDocName = "rptPartNumberReport"
DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview

Exit_Command4_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_Command4_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_Command4_Click

End Sub

The error says "You used a method of the DoCmd object to carry out an action in VB, but then clicked Cancel in a dialog box."

Thanks...

There's probably a better way round this, but what I would do in this situation is find out the error number (by changing MsgBox Err.Description to MsgBox Err.Number - then running the report again).

Once you have the error number add a bit of code in the Err_Command34_Click section something like this:

If Err.Number = (whatever the error number is) Then

Response = Cancel

End If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back