Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FORGOTTEN ROOT PASSWORD FOR OS4000 SUSE LINUX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACTDA

Technical User
Jan 18, 2019
SI
Hello guys !

I need to deal with forgotten root password for access to linux (default is user:root and pass: hicom).
Customer have OS4000 V8.1.19.3 with suse sles 11.The problem is that root password is forgotten, but I can login
(directly on console or via putty to "CCA" as "linuser" and that user have no rights to change root password.
Any help with dealing that problem will be very welcome.
Thanks in advance !!!

As a workaround, try to skip password req. on logon (cannot tell if it works for V8):
Start menu -> Hipath 4000 Expert Access - > Security settings -> check "Enable autologon"
Comwin -> connections-> network -> modify -> security tab -> check - autologon ; uncheck - always prompt for user ID and password.

Just for giggles, try root and 4K-admin just in case someone did an upgrade and forgot to set it back to the normal working credentials.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

thanks for reply guys !
But my problem is when I try to login via console (directly on Ecoserver or via putty to CCA ip address)as root , then my password (initial password is hicomand you need to change as soon as you first login)is not working anymore.So my queston is how to reset that "Linux" password.All other passwords for portal,assistant, comwin, ft from rmx......are working fine!But as you know whith root "Linux" access you can change system time via YAST for example.

Thanks for any replies in advance !!!!

If you still have portal access can you try rebooting the platform from inside the portal - just in case something odd is going on? Rebooting the platform shouldn't affect telephony (I don't think) - I seem to recall rebooting the platform when I did the time fix a few years ago, but I'm running duplex so take it with a grain of salt, or do it during a low traffic time. :)

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

There is a fair chance rebooting platform will affect telephony.

If it's a simplex, everything will go off.
If it's a duplex and the node you are rebooting is Active telephony, it will make a switch over, attendants will notice as AC-Win will drop calls and reconnect, users probably won't notice (usually).
If it's duplex and the node is standby, it probably won't affect telephony unless you have OSCC and the ADP/CSTA is running on that node.

The correct way to recover from this password problem is to make new discs and reload it, assuming you have access to RMX to take the regen.

Public forum is no place to discuss what you require.

Hint form somebody [bigsmile]

If you've forgotten Linux host root password, but you know the Assistant engr password you can ssh to Assistant and change the Linux host root password with:
sshr passwd

Thank you ADIBV, thats the solution!I also played with systemrescuecd - single user mode - and with help of chroot command works too.A "little" longer and harder way, but also succesfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back