Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forgot my windows 95 password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopony

Technical User
Mar 17, 2001
US
I forgot my windows password, I cannot get pass the sign-on screen. How do I fix it, so I can use my computer?

Thanks

try this

To start Windows without logging on to a network

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.

Click Restart, and then click OK.
When the Enter Network Password dialog box appears, click Cancel.
Note
After you finish this procedure, you need to restart your computer before you can log on to the network

Hi.

Pree cancel at Logon to get around the network password. That will get you into 95/98 without network access. Then when you are in the machine delete the file *.pwl.

Next time you got to log on all the password will be blank just like the first time you logged in.

NOTE.
This does not work for logging onto NT networks as the password to your account is stored on you PDC server and you will need to change it there.

Hope this helps. Jason Halls
IT Contractor
IT Manager

Click cancel instead of OK. Use the find command and search for *.pwl file and delete it. This will delete the windows password.

in nt is held in a file called the sam file and pdc is there to restrict acess to the network the sam restricts acess to the software on it. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back