Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forgot admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCF

Vendor
Jul 28, 2002
MY
I have a Netware server 4.11 and not in used for quite a while. Recently, I need to test some applications on the server but unfortunately, I forgot the admin password. Fyi, I don't have any other user ID that has admin equivalent rights, therefore, I could not change the admin password. Pls help.
Thanks.

Well, this is not a good thing, if this server is only used for test purposes, teh best thing to do is just blow away the Operating system and re-install. Since no other account has an admin password, novell can unlock the admin account for a small cost and some tedious paperwork that you will need to fill out for them to do it.

BTW, from what I have heard the est. cost is between $250 and $500 dollars.

HTH

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Is this v4.11 Server part of a larger NDS Tree, or is it a stand-alone Server in its own NDS Tree?

If this Server is part of a larger Tree, then you should be able to use an Admin level account from a higher location in the Tree to deal with it.

If the Server is all by itself, well thats a different story. If its not in production, I would start fresh.

Also, is this Server ever backed up? If so, what user account was used to accomplish this? Hmmmm....

Good Luck!

I have a utility that will unlock the account in question, change the password, clear the intruder flag, or create a new user with rights to the root.

I have not used this in a production environment, but it worked on my test environment NW5.1 SP4, NDS 8.79

I have not seen any problems so far. Give a shout if you want a copy. Its freeware! I found it off of one of the Novell GURU sites.

Thanks guys, and I'm really interested in the utils that mentioned by Jamieb65. Can you pls refer us to that the site that I could download the util? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mungoblack has posted the correct link. Thanks MungoBlack, could not remember where I had found it.

I found that the AdminAdd utility works better than the burgular. Burgular adds a user in the current context of the server and gives you rights to the container not the root. AdminAdd gives you rights (all) to the root of the tree. Like I stated in earlier post, I have NOT used this in a production environment - use at your own risk.

However, if you are locked out of your tree, how could it hurt?

Wonderful, really appreciate the help that you guys gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back