Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forget root passwd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mipana

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
DO
I forget the passwd root. I tried to boot from my cd install
and make all the process but when i execute vi command or ed when i mount the /dev/hd0root over /mnt any command don't found. Which part i don't do it. Please if somebody know something please i need your help.

You may need to type the full pathname for all the commands you run. For example for "vi" you may need to:
/mnt/usr/bin/vi /mnt/etc/shadow

If your /usr file system is separate from the / file system then you'll have to mount it as well.

I done all. I have the same problem. when i execute the command /mnt/usr/bin/vi /mnt/etc/shadow this send me a messages "vi no found". What i don't do it.

Depending on which version of sco unix:

/mnt/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.5Eb/usr/bin/vi

(the 5.0.5Eb may be different)

I do as you say
My SCO Unix version is Rel. 3.2v5.0.5
I execute this parameter but i have i messages when i i do

<installation>/mnt/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.5Eb/usr/bin/vi /mnt/etc/passwd
<installation>Killed

what i need to do?

first, you have to creat the boot floppy disk and the root floppy disk. use the command &quot;mkdev fd&quot; , when you walk here &quot;¡¡Do you want to place extra files on the root filesystem?(y/n)&quot;,type &quot;y',and copy some files you needed to the floppy .
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡<bootroot>cp/usr/bin/vi/ mnt/usr/bin
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡<bootroot>mkdir £­p /mnt/usr/lib/terminfo/a
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡<bootroot>cd /usr/lib/tcrminfo/a
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡<bootroot>cp ansi /mnt/usr/lib/terminfo/a
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡<bootroot>exit
then you can boot the unix box with the boot floppy disk and root disk. when the &quot;#&quot; prompt appears, type in like this:
TERM=ansi;cxport TERM
now ,you have the vi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back