Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forestprep & AD error

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael5wong

Programmer
Mar 2, 2003
US
Alright, I really can't figure this out. When I select ForestPrep in the Action pulldown of the Exchange 2k3 installation (i'm running 2k server sp4), I am getting:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" cannot be assigned the action "ForestPrep" because:
- Either you do not have permission to update the Active Directory schema or Active Directory service is currently too busy.

Ok, first, my AD service can't be too busy - only i'm using it? Second, my account now has every admin possible:) I started with Enterprise admin, now i tried schema, domain, and local all together, still no go. I read somewhere about the Remote Registry Service being the cause (well, this was a Microsoft Q&A. It's running, I tried restarting the service and then reruning exchange setup, but still it's a no go.

Anyone have any ideas? Please:)?

Thanks,

Michael Wong
Michael.Wong@Yale.EDU

I haved exactly the same error running on the same system configuration (w2k srv sp4)

1. Install all the services required
2. Give your self all the required groups
3. Log off/on to apply group settings (I rebooted to be sure)

And all is supposed to work !

I too ran into this exact same problem. I had all the permissions, all the servers were up and contactable. It should have been a slam dunk for me.

Make sure you run the dcdiag tool. If you don't have it installed its availible as part of the windows support tools and is on the windows cd in the suuport tools folder. now once you run the tool it should inform you if there is any problem with your set of domains. The most important test that dcdiag performs should be the "knowsofroleholders" test. If that test did not pass then you will not be able to prep the forest for exchange.

This is a easy fix. Upgrade your ADC from the exchange CD. I Can't remember but I think there is a ADC folder. You have to ugrade all ADC's before moving on. For example I had a ADC on two domain controllers and I had to update both of them. I hope this helps.

Are you a schema admin? You're not by default, so unless you added yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back