Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foreign Characters in Text Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman71

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
GB
In reports on certain machines, the database fields are showing foreign characters correctly, but in text object they do not appear correctly.
On these machines, even when you copy and paste the characters (which appear correctly in all other applications) Crystal immediately converts the character to standard. EG The letter ø converts to o. Fields from the database do appear correctly however!?!
I can find no differences between the file versions in use on each machine.
This applies to 16bit version of Crytsal 6 & 7.
Any ideas much appreciated!!

I have since discovered that if you copy text from Word, and paste it into the text object, the characters are immeditely changed.
Also, if you then cut the text back out of the texct object and back into Word, the characters re-appear correctly!

I am confused...

I have now also discovered that changing the font from Times to almost any other will cure the issue.

Why would some machines produce a different output from others?

What is the issue with this font??

Please help...........

Hi Sandman71,

There could be a million reasons for this...

However, here are two that I have come acoss;-

1. On your windows default printer setup, is the "use default printer settings" option ticked. This will force the report to use whatever font is defined on the printer, irrespective of the font settings in the report. You may need to deselect this.
Check from within crystal too.

2. You have not got the same fonts installed on all of the PCs you are running the report on. If this happens, the report will be produced based on a best fit approach!!
I recently had this due to not having the PAN European
Character set installed on my PC. The report being sent to me was using Arial Western. I got very confused!!!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,
I will try to copy fonts across.
Does this not conflict with the fact that MS Word shows the characters correctly, and also the database fields show them correctly also?
I know that Crystal handles fonts differently, but am not sure exactly how.
All the reports are set to print to specific printers, and specific trays.

You can also try...

From Internet Explorer
Tools...
Windows update...

Find the required patch for PAN European Character set

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back