Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forcing users to input data

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCM

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
Greetings,

I have a report when users enter a valid ID Number that will list a work list which corresponds to that ID number. How ever, if the user hit Enter without inputting ID number, then all worklist are returned: or let’s say if users enter a non existing ID number, then the result is 0.

But, I would like the following to happen

1. If users forget to enter ID Number & hit enter, then
they will get a message saying : “Please Enter a valid ID
Number”
2. If users enter a non –existing Id Number then they will
get a message “ Id Number Not Valid” “please enter a
valid ID Number”

Thank you in advance!

OCM

I don't see what the question has to do with "General database discussion", or even with databases. Looks like you will do better in the appropriate forum for your front-end language. The actual db query will just need to query against the given ID, and use the count of the returned rows to provide an error message.
I notice from your profile that you have asked 15 questions, but have not marked any of the answers as being valuable to you. If you haven't had valuable answers, read faq222-2244 carefully to get ideas about how to ask better questions.
If you have had valuable answers, please read faq222-2244 carefully to see how to mark those answers as valuable. This not only lets the responder know that their time has not been wasted, but also marks the thread for other users.
The FAQ also gives guidance on general forum usage, as I also notice that you haven't yet provided any answers to any one else's questions.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Make ID number a drop-down field to the user, limited only to the choices in the drop-down.

hdingman, that could be either a very good idea or a very bad idea. If the OP's app has ten ID numbers, it's a good idea. If he has a thousand ID numbers, that would kind of suck.

Hi,

Thanks every one for your input, I was able to resolve the problem.

Regards,

OCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back