Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forcing netbackup over one nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperdaz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
I have two nics... 18.x and 14.x I want to force netbackup to only use 14.x...

this is what i have done..

on all servers placed the required network address in the universal settings.
placed the 14.x address in the host file of each machine and each machine it will contact.

also made sure the 14.x addresses are the first bindings under "Advanced Settings" network settings...

but this still does not work as soon as i remove the required address everything works

have i missed something?

thanks

Still have no ideas why this does not work as it looks like it should on the tin...

Hi

From what I gather is that The master server has two IP address. So it should have two hostnames. The clients are configured to use one of the two hostnames. So u have to point the clients to use the required IP or hostname. This is done in the configure netbackup.

d3man...

The master server has two nic cards / IP addresses and so do all applications servers and clients..... *all windows 2000*

I am a little confused when u say two hostnames... as far as I know the hostname is done from My Computer and theres only one... plus no option to give a host name to this nic and one to this nic.... etc..

could u please explain this more as *this could be what i am missing* etc..

thanks

You may add the following line in your bp.conf file

REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <your nic host name>

dont i only have one host name ???

I was placing the ip address under &quot; universal settings&quot; is this the same as adding required interface in bp.conf?

thanks..

From my experience ...

One host name = Tough luck, it will not work. I have tried many, many different combinations until I found one that worked.

2 NICS, the server has it's own name and the bindings were set so that the 1st NIC was the one used for internal communications. By 1st NIC I mean the 1st listed in the binding order as Microsoft uses this first for all communications.

I then added a DNS entry for a different name on the IP for the 2nd NIC - This name was then added the the preferred NIC interface in Veritas - Worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back