Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forcing logon to particular DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

imarine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
AU
Hi,

I've just built a new DC andtransferred all the FSMO roles over to it from my existing DC. The existing server is still replicating and is still a DC, but without FSMO roles. It is also a GC server the same as the new server.
There are no event log errors and DHCP is running on the new server. Clients are using DNS on the new server as primary.

Every machine I login to and do a "echo %logonserver%" on is displaying that it is logging into the old DC. Is there a way of forcing clients to use the new server as well as a way of checking that they would should the old DC fail.

Thanks

Have you got sites defined under Sites and Services?

I would move your old server that you no longer want logons on to a seperate site that has no subnets assigned to it.

If that doesnt make sense I can give more directions.

Thanks for that. I plan on rebuilding this server soon, but dont want to dcpromo it just yet. I have since posting noticed that a few clients are using the new server for login, so I assume everything is fine.

Domain Controllers will no allow logons until the SYSVOL has finished replication. You may have been trying too soon.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

The new DC has been up and running for about a week now, so the SYSVOL folder is replicated over.

Cut the port speed of the NIC on the old DC to 10Mb/Half Duplex. I believe that Windows generates some preferences based on DC network bandwidth.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back